Please do your own research and do not assume I’m correct.
John R Lunsford and wife Sarah Sallie Harrison:
Update 2017: My DNA has now shown a family connection to Hiram Lunsford born 1793 in NC. However, the Wills of Allen Lunsford Sr and his wife Elizabeth have both been posted this week and although they do have sons named Hiram and Allen, Jr…..there is no son, John R Lunsford. I am somehow related to Hiram and his brother Allen, Jr through DNA, but the answer to who is John R’s parents is still a mystery. Perhaps John R is a nephew or cousin of Hiram and Allen, Jr?
The DNA of another branch of our family (through the Fletchers) has brought news of a Lunsford Clan that we are somehow very closely related to. Our connection to the Fletchers is through Sarah “Nellie” Camilla Lunsford, the daughter of John R Lunsford and Sarah “Sallie” Harrison. Nellie married Isaac Chrismon Fletcher in Texas abt 1880.
I have had this Clan of Lunsfords in my private Ancestry.com tree (used for research only) for over a year. Allen Lunsford, Jr (born 1805 in NC) is probably a cousin or half brother to our John R Lunsford. I also mentioned Hiram Lunsford (born 1793 in NC) in my blog as, “Potentially being closely related to our John R Lunsford”.
This is what I have…some of it may not be validated at this time…I have been working on my Phelps Tree for over a year and it’s been awhile since I looked at this information. Hopefully it is more accurate than not. All material I have found excludes the name “Jesse” Allen but rather is always Allen Lunsford, Sr or Jr. It appears that the new evidence is pointing our ancestry to what is marked in RED. I include siblings for the purpose of association with places they’ve lived, who they’ve married…etc. As always… please do your own research.
Allen Lunsford, SENIOR
Note: I am DNA connected (as well as circumstantially) to Allen Lunsford, Sr’s sons Hiram and Allen, Jr. Because both Hiram and Allen, Jr are mentioned in the Will of their mother Elizabeth in 1852, we know they are both sons of Allen, Sr and his wife Elizabeth. Yet our John R Lunsford was not mentioned in the Will. It is true that he was already in Texas in 1850, but both Hiram and Allen, Jr were also raising their families in other states, Hiram in Arkansas and Allen in Tennessee. This means that although we are related to Allen Lunsford, Sr and his offspring somehow, it still remains a mystery who the parents of John R Lunsford born 1815 in NC are.
1773 abt. Birth probably in Rowan County, NC which was formed from Iredell County in 1787.
1792 abt Marriage to Elizabeth Unknown. This date is determined by age of first known child. Elizabeth, according to the 1850 Census was born abt 1780 in North Carolina, and she probably died sometime between the 1850 and 1860 Federal Census.
1800 Federal Census: Salisbury, Iredell County, North Carolina. Spelled Allin Lunsford. One boy under 5. Rubin Fletcher on same Census.
1810 Federal Census: Can’t find at this time.
1820 Federal Census: Allen Lunsford. Iredell County, North Carolina. (2) males under 10, (3) males 10-15, (2) males 16-25, (1) male over 45….(1) female under 10, (2) females 10-15, (2) females 16-25, (1) female over 45. Same page Reuben and James Fletcher.
Side Note: For those Phelps/Felps interested: Next page John and Littleton Felps!.
1830 Federal Census: Allen Lunsford. Iredell County, North Carolina. Rubin and James Fletcher also in Iredell County. (1) male 10-14, (1) male 20-29, (1) male 60-69…( 1 ) female 5-9, ( 2) females 10-14, (1) female 15-19, (1) female 50-59
1840 Federal Census: Spelled Allen Lansford. Iredell County, North Carolina. Jacob Beaver on same page. Also Rubin, James and Wyatt Fletcher also in Iredell. (1) male under 5, (1) male 5-9, (1) male 60-69?, (2) females under 5, (2) females 5-9, (1) female 15-19, (1) female 20-29, (1) female 50-59. Ages seem wrong…same as previous census for Allen and wife?
1850 Federal Census: transcribed Allen Samford on Ancestry.com… (however, obvious it’s Lunsford on Census Sheet). Iredell County, North Carolina. Allen age 77 born abt 1773 in North Carolina. Wife, Elizabeth age 70, born abt 1780 in North Carolina, Robert Lunsford, age 19, born abt 1831 in North Carolina, and Malinda Lunsford age 16, born 1834 in North Carolina (either daughter or Robert’s wife?). Neighbors: George Mullis 1802 North Carolina. Many Fletcher’s including James and Wyatt in Iredell. More research needs to be done to discover how the above Robert and Malinda are related to the head of house. They are very young to be Allen and Elizabeth’s children. Perhaps Grandchildren or Grandson and wife.???
1860 Federal Census: Cannot find one.
Children of Allen Lunsford, Sr and Elizabeth (Glenn?): More on each child on another post.
- DNA connected: Hiram Lunsford: born abt 1793, probably Iredell County, North Carolina. Death sometime after the 1880 Federal Census in Bosque County, Texas. He married Amelia “Milly” Hudspeth. See his Personal Post. Update: I am DNA connected to Hiram Lunsford through his daughter Mary Lunsford who married 1) William H Simmons and 2) Thomas Jefferson Johnson.
- Mary “Polly” Lunsford: born abt 1801 in Person County, North Carolina. Death 1853 according to Henderson County, Kentucky Death Record. Married Unknown Hendrick and 2) Rev John Tapp. She and her cousin, Susannah (Lunsford), married Tapp brothers. After the death of Susannah (Lunsford) Tapp and her husband, Joel Henry Tapp, Mary “Polly” raised her cousin’s children.
- Elizabeth Lunsford: born abt 1802 Wilkes County, North Carolina. Death Unknown. Married Thomas Brown in 1834 in Surry County, North Carolina when she was abt 32 years old. In her Mother’s Will she is transcribed as Elizabeth (Luttof?) so she must have been married before Brown.
- Willis Lunsford: born abt 1803 Iredell County, North Carolina. Death Unknown. I do have an 1870 Federal Census showing a Willis Lunsford living in Washington County, Tennessee with John & Susanna Watts and a 2 yr old Samuel Harrison! (Any relations to Sarah Sallie Harrison???) I can find no more on Willis at this time and I’m not sure this is him.
- Henry Lunsford : born abt 1804 in North Carolina. Death unknown. He may have been living in Randolph County, Alabama in 1840, for I have a Census for a Henry Sansford living there.? Also, an 1850 Federal Census with a Henry Lunsford and family living in Dyer County, Tennessee with a Sarah Lansford living on previous page with the John Crow family. I’m not sure if this is the same Henry Lunsford, son of Allen, Sr. (FYI: John Rice Crow, born 1818 in TN and d 1890 in Dyer County, TN…married Elizabeth Lunsford, daughter of Aris Lunsford and Sarah (Matthews) Lunsford).
- DNA connected: Allen Lunsford, Jr.: born abt 1805 in Iredell County, North Carolina and died in 1891 probably Texas. He married Mary Elizabeth Bassett. She was born in 1816 in Buncombe County, North Carolina and died in 1879 in Buncombe County. See his Personal Post. All documents I have found do not specify “Jesse”….just Allen. Perhaps the name Jesse was a middle name that he was called by???
- Sarah Lunsford: born abt 1807 and married an Unknown Thorpe. In transcribing her Mother’s Will she is called Sarah (Thorpe?).
- John R Lunsford: (Perhaps a son?) born 1815 Wake County, North Carolina and died 1900 in Lampasas County, Texas. He married Sarah “Sallie” Harrison. I’m not happy with the eight years between his and Sarah’s births …any ideas?!!
Ancestry of Allen Lunsford, Sr. (A work in progress)
Allen Lunsford, Sr born abt 1773 in possibly Rowan County, NC and died after the 1850 Federal Census in Iredell County, NC. Married Elizabeth Unknown.
Father: William Lunsford born abt 1738 in Virginia and died abt 1810 Granville County, NC.
Mother: His mother may be Rebecca Basye born 1734 in Virginia.
Children of William Lunsford and Unknown:
Audie Murphy‘s biography states that William Lunsford had 5 sons, but only lists Nimrod because he is the direct line to Audie Murphy. Ancestry.com trees include:
1) Nimrod Charnock Lunsford: (Middle Name unverified) born abt 1764 Granville or Iredell County, NC and died in 1847 in Alexander County, NC. The University of NC includes his history in their psychology course because he never divorced and yet married (3) times. In his Will he names Rebecca as his wife, however, the next year 1848, an Elizabeth filed claim to his estate in Buncombe County, NC. He was a bigamist and family legend has it that he was married to three different women at the same time. And it appears this moral laxity was repeated in his descendants. See: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lunsford/research/biographies/nimrodsrstudy.htm Also: see Allen Lunsford, Jr’s Post…he also married many times without any evidence of divorce.
Nimrod married 1) Elizabeth Wyatt in abt 1778. (the name Wyatt enters our Lunsford family through this surname?)
Their son, Michael Lunsford is the genealogy connection for Audie Murphy…the famous WWII hero and actor. See: http://www.audiemurphy.com/biography.htm
Nimrod’s alleged son, Peyton Charnock Lunsford (need more documentation on him being a son of Nimrod, although many trees list him as a brother to Michael). Peyton has a son named Stephen Lunsford.
Stephen had a son named Peyton H Lunsford (born in 1834 in Georgia)…who dies in Austin, Travis, Texas in 1905. He married Virginia Echols. They were in Texas before the 1860 Census and in Austin abt 1877. Peyton H Lunsford’s son, Peyton Echols Lunsford was born in Texas in 1868 and died in 1922 in Runnels County, Texas. He married Cora Frances Grumbles. (It is in the Grumbles/Plumley Cemetery that David Strickland and his daughter, Mary (Strickland) Maddin are buried in Austin, Travis, Texas). On Peyton Echols Lunsford’s 1900 Austin, Travis, TX Federal Census, page 4, they have a Frank Harrison boarding with them, whose mother was born in TN….and a Harrison family living a few doors away …. also, Laura (Maddin) Johnson family is living next door!! Then, the next family is William Maddin and Molly (Lunsford) Maddin including their 2 year old daughter, my own Grandmother Nellie Camilla (Maddin) Phelps. What a Census!!! We must research the Harrisons on this census page. These Lunsfords are definitely tied to ours through association.
The Name “Wyatt” is significant for J R and Sarah “Sallie” Harrison named a son “Wyatt Lunsford” and Nimrod’s wife’s maiden name was “Wyatt”.
Austin Directory: http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46838/m1/179/?q=lunsford
Nimrod Lunsford and Elizabeth Wyatt also may have had a son named Wyatt Lunsford born 1795 Iredell County, NC who married a Mary “Polly” Unknown. They had a son named Nimrod Lunsford who was born in 1829 in NC and who died in Nov of 1860 in Austin County, Texas. He has an 1860 Federal Census there but without a wife, who must’ve just died. This left him with two small children, Nimrod M Lunsford, Jr born in 1858 in Texas and a little daughter named Mary Ann Lunsford, who was born in 1859. His occupation is listed as “well digger”. His daughter Mary died of “teething” in 1860 and Nimrod, the children’s father, also died of a fever soon afterwards. I don’t know what happened to baby Nimrod M Lunsford, Jr. when as a toddler, his mother, his father and his baby sister all died, leaving him an orphan in Texas. ?
Nimrod Charnock Lunsford, Sr first married Elizabeth Wyatt, but also married 2) Jennie McCombs and 3) Rebecca Foster
2) John William Lunsford born abt 1765 NC and married an Elizabeth Unknown.
3) Allen Lunsford, Sr born abt 1773 (See above and his specific post)
4) DNA Connected: (Unverified, not sure of his parentage at this time) Lemuel Lunsford born abt 1774 in Wilkes/Ashe County, NC and died in abt 1840 Clay County, Kentucky. He married Martha Hollingsworth. Lemuel, (and the name Hollingsworth) will link us with the melungeons of Clay County, Kentucky. Their son Hiram Lunsford married Lydia Hollingsworth who is thought to be half Cherokee. We need to verify Lemuel being a son to William. What do you think? Some trees have Lemuel as the son of John Lunsford and Mary Wingate.
Below are pictures of Lydia’s sisters, Rhoda (Hollingsworth) Thomas, and Mary “Polly” (Hollingsworth) McDaniel. They look very Native American. They are the daughters of William Hollingsworth and Rhoda (Reed) Hollingsworth.
Above photo originally submitted to Ancestry.com by Denise L Rancour.
5) Elijah: Possible son
William Lunsford’s parents were John Lunsford and Mary Wingate
John Lunsford, Sr was born abt 1720 and died in 1799 in Granville County, NC. He married Mary Wingate. Mary was born in abt 1722 in Perquimans County, NC and died in 1806 in Perquimans County, NC.
Children of John Lunsford and Mary Wingate
According to the ancestral tree/biography of Audie Murphy, the couple had four sons, but only mentions William, Audie’s direct line.
1) William Lunsford born abt 1740 (See above)
2) James Lunsford born abt 1742 (children may include Ephraim Sihon Lunsford)
3) Joseph H Lunsford, Sr born abt 1743 and died abt 1813. He married Rebecca Jones. His children were: Allen B, Mary Ann, Jesse, Elizabeth, Sarah “Sallie”, Susan “Sucky”, Joseph, Jr, Samuel, Rebecca Ann, and Nancy D Lunsford.
4) Jesse Lunsford born abt 1744
How This Would Fit Into Our Tree: Warning: Has not been verified yet…is stricly potential.
1720 birth: John and Mary (Wingate) Lunsford
1740 birth: William Lunsford
1773 birth: Allen Lunsford, Sr
1815 birth: John R Lunsford?????
Special Note: William Lunsford, (see above) had a grandson named Joseph L Lunsford who married Rebecca Jones in Wake County, NC in 1836. This shows this clan of Lunsfords in the Wake County, NC area abt 10 years after John R Lunsford was born there in 1815 in Raleigh. Besides the fact that some Lunsfords are living over the adjoining border of Wake County in Franklin County, NC. If J R was born in Raleigh, NC (which is now in Wake County), consider this statement from Wiki: “Franklin County is included in the Raleigh North Carolina statistical area”. The city of Raleigh itself, must border quite closely to Franklin County. In 1815 when J R was born there…the borders may not be where they are today and part of the City of Raleigh may have been in Franklin County.????